microsoft

Abuse of language notes

October 20th, 2008  |  Tags: , ,  |  Leave a comment

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. SOLUTIONS ARE PROGRAMS.

vcpp.png

I don’t know why, but this kind of thing — stilted passive-voice dialogese combined with numbingly inane neologisms — always cracks me up.

38.4 percent

June 13th, 2008  |  Tags: , , , , ,  |  Leave a comment

The most amazing part of this otherwise-unremarkable NYT piece about the Yahoo-Google ad deal is the following paragraph:

While Google had 61.6 percent of the search market in the United States in April, according to comScore, Mr. Wiener said that Google’s dominance of search ads is even greater. Among 360i advertisers, it accounts for 75 percent to 80 percent of dollars spent, he said.

The 61.6 percent figure seems bafflingly small to me. I don’t want to get all Pauline Kael here, but who are the people who are responsible for the other 38.4 percent, and what on earth are they using for internet search?